Friday, January 3, 2014

2013 - My Year in Books

So, my friend Stacee from Too Fond of Books told me about this fun challenge hosted by The Perpetual Page-Turner and as soon as I saw the categories, I was allllll over it.   I know that the new year started a few days ago, but I needed to give my answers some serious thought.  

 

1. Best Book You Read In 2013?

So, I'm going to cheat and list my favorites from the genres I read the most -- that works, right?

YA:  Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Romance:  Covet by Tracey Garvis Graves

New Adult: Making Faces by Amy Harmon

Dystopian:  Not A Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis 

Fantasy: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Adult: The Mistress by Tiffany Reisz

 

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

 The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth LaBan

 

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

The Ballad by Ashley Pullo - I picked this one up off of Amazon one day because it was free.  It was purely on a whim, I knew nobody that had read it and I ended up LOVING it!

 

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

Wonder by R.J. Pallacio

 

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

The Fire and Thorns series by Rae Carson

 

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

Rainbow Rowell

 

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

 I didn't stray far out of the norm this year, but if I had to pick one, it would be The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd.  I don't read much horror and didn't know exactly what to expect, but ended up loving it and have the next book in the series pre-ordered!

 

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

 

 9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Covet by Tracey Garvis Graves -- I'm pretty sure my book club is going to have to discuss this one.

 

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

  This actually makes me a little sad because I love a pretty cover -- but I can't really say that I have a favorite from 2013.  Maybe this year.

 

11. Most memorable character in 2013?

Auggie Pullman from Wonder

 

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

 

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 


Golden by Jessi Kirby

 

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves

 

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

  If you think you're only getting one passage/quote from me, you don't know me at all :) 

“I turned in my seat. Will’s face was in shadow and I couldn’t quite make it out.
‘Just hold on. Just for a minute.’
‘Are you all right?’ I found my gaze dropping towards his chair, afraid some part of him was pinched, or trapped, that I had got something wrong.
‘I’m fine. I just . . . ’
I could see his pale collar, his dark suit jacket a contrast against it.
‘I don’t want to go in just yet. I just want to sit and not have to think about . . . ’ He swallowed.
Even in the half-dark it seemed effortful.
‘I just . . . want to be a man who has been to a concert with a girl in a red dress. Just for a few minutes more.’
I released the door handle.
‘Sure.’
I closed my eyes and lay my head against the headrest, and we sat there together for a while longer, two people lost in remembered music, half hidden in the shadow of a castle on a moonlit hill.”
Jojo Moyes, Me Before You  

 

“See that?" Paul said. "Ten goddamn seconds."
"I don't get it."
"You didn't even have to hear the whole song, just a few lines, and you got the chills and that swirly, happy-sad feeling in your gut, didn't you?" ... "That's the difference between the real stuff and the crap. I know which one you are and you know which one I am.”
Tiffanie DeBartolo, How to Kill a Rock Star 

 

“Holding Eleanor's hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat. Like holding something complete, and completely alive.”
Rainbow Rowell, Eleanor & Park 

 

“We're all more than the person we show to everyone else. At least I hope so. Because I feel like there's more to me than that. I just haven't had the chance yet to show it.”
Jessi Kirby, Golden  

 

“I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives.”
R.J. Palacio, Wonder 

 

If you want to know more of my favorites, just ask.  For real, I could do this all day :)

  

   16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

The Queen's Army by Marissa Meyer (18 pages)

Lover at Last by JR Ward (696 pages)

 

  17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

There were quite a few but the one that jumps to mind right now is a certain moment in Not A Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis. 

 


18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Cath and Levi (Fangirl)

Will and Clark (Me Before You)

Claire and Daniel (Covet)

and I could go on and on and on and on...

 



19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously:

  Losing Hope by Colleen Hoover

(On a side note, I was amazed at the number of authors I read for the first time this year!)

 

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

Making Faces by Amy Harmon.  Thanks, Caren! 

 

 21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

I would probably say Contemporary Romance.  Maybe.  Or Dystopian.

 

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

Levi from Fangirl

 

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

 

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

 

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

 


26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

 


27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

This was tough as well -- I guess I'm going to have to go with Degrees of Wrong by Anna Scarlett.  It came out in 2012 and I didn't hear a single word about it in August of 2013.

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment