Thursday, June 6, 2013

Geoducks Are For Lovers - Daisy Prescott


I'll be the first to admit that I read a disproportionate amount of YA and New Adult books -- mostly because books are my escape from real life and why would I want to read about the same problems that I have on a daily basis?  But every now and then a book about those of us in the "not so new Adult" age range catches my eye and that is what happened with Geoducks Are For Lovers.


I had seen a few tweets about it while author stalking doing some blog promoting on Twitter and I was intrigued...especially when the blurb on Goodreads asked "What happens when the generation from The Breakfast Club and Reality Bites meets The Big Chill?" 



It was like it was speaking directly to me.  

Once I started reading Geoducks (which is pronounced Gooey-ducks -- who knew?!?!), I couldn't put it down.  Her characters are so real and...normal.  I mean, Maggie blogs in her pajamas -- guess what I'm doing RIGHT NOW!  I could so relate to her - not because our lives have taken the same paths, but because her story is believable.  And maybe because a little part of me is jealous of where and how she lives.  

This is a story of second chances.  Love and heart-flutters aren't limited to the YA crowd.  Just because we are closer to 40 than 20 doesn't mean that our boys can't still be swoony.  Because Gil...hello!  It is also a story lauding the bonds of true friendship.  Maggie and her group all live in different places and lead different lives -- but once they get together, none of that matters.  All the pieces come together like a jigsaw puzzle...or a game of scrabble. 

I stayed up until almost 1:00 AM reading this book because I couldn't go to bed without knowing how it ended.  And while I had to take a nap the next day, I have no regrets.  It was a super sweet, super real, super enjoyable read and I recommend it to everybody who likes reading about second chances and self-discovery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment