Friday, May 24, 2013

On the Island - Tracey Garvis-Graves

You know that feeling when you finish a really really good book and when you put it down you sort of feel like nothing you ever read will be as good as the one you just finished?  I call those book hangovers and I have one.  It is ugly. 

I remember seeing On the Island mentioned quite a bit when it was first published last summer and I've had it on my Kindle for months, but it had gotten buried somewhere on page 4 or 5 and I had forgotten about it.  On a whim, I started reading it on Wednesday afternoon and from the beginning, I couldn't. put. it. down.

I have to confess, I think part of the reason I had put off reading it so long is because the first thing I noticed when reading about the book was that it told the story of a 30 year old teacher being stranded on an island with a 16 year old student.  I mean, hello -- giant red warning flags, right?  But I sort of hate that it is even mentioned because that is SO not what this story is about and yet it was always kind of in the back of my mind saying "what kind of book is this going to be?".  Until all of a sudden, it was gone. Please don't let my ramblings scare you off -- I promise I wouldn't tell you to read something squicky.

Trust me.

Anna and TJ are on their way to a summer in the Maldives when tragedy strikes and their plane crashes.  After they survive the impact, they somehow make it to a deserted island where they hope for rescue.  Surely somebody will be searching for them, right?  Right?

Right?

Hours turn to days...to weeks...to months...to years.

As the story progresses, you find yourself pulling for these characters, for Anna and TJ to survive.  You don't see 30 and 16, you see trust and growth and strength.  Told in alternating POVs, this book evoked every possible reaction.  I laughed, I smiled, I cried, I was scared, I cried, I cheered, I was angry...and when I finished it, I was sooooo sad.  Not because of what happens, but because it was over.  Gah, it is so hard to write what I want to say without giving anything away.

Tracey Garvis-Graves writes beautifully.  The story was fluid even with the alternating POVs and captivating.  I look forward to reading more by this author.   

On a side note -- Jaime and Bri and Tara and Jess...WHY did you not make me read this one sooner? 

1 comment:

  1. I have certainly experienced 'book hangovers' many times - the bittersweetness of having found an amazing book, but now it's over. I love to read a series, because then I can continue on with the characters I love. But, those hangovers are especially rough, after having invested so much time and energy into reading, hunting down and waiting for the sequels, and then reading those.

    I am, however, an addict and am always on the hunt for the next read that will give me a book hangover. I absolutely adore survival stories!!! So, I am going to download this one as soon as I finish writing this post!

    Thanks for sharing! I am really enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete